Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not so Impressive Impressions

After a month and a half as a resident at Homes of Hope in Fiji, I have a few initial impressions. More than likely, these first impressions will reshape themselves to a more mature view of my surroundings. Yet, nonetheless, I find them absorbing.

Impression #1: Air-condition Anyone?
Seriously, how humid can a climate be? And when is winter?


Impression #2: That is the Biggest Bug I have EVER Seen!
I think this was my third week when I decided to move the suitcase in my house that has been functioning as my living room-clutter-catchall. Lo’ and behold, I move said suitcase and a centipede that is about 10 inches long runs from underneath the suitcase-straight toward me. I confess I danced and screamed like a sissy, which incited Godzilla to run toward my bedroom. As I chased the critter down with my water bottle, (the only object I had time to snag as the sucker boogied away) all I could think was, “You had better stay away from my bed!” And it did…it went into my broom closet, where I have yet to unearth the monster.


Impression #3: Dinner is Not for You!

No way. Really? Is that lizard seriously going to try and eat my soup? With me sitting right here?









Impression #4: I Have Friends!
How welcome I have felt meeting and getting to know Homes of Hope’s mums (These mums are the ladies who reside at Homes of Hope with their little ones). It has been easy to get to work. In fact my greatest difficulty has been in working too much and forgetting that I am still adjusting to a new culture, climate, and habits.


Impression #5: Hello McDonalds. You are my New Favorite Restaurant.
I will never again underestimate the simple pleasure of a taste of home…even when that “taste of home” is a cheeseburger from McDonalds, the much scorned bad-food joint in the U.S. Oh, man, that first bite into my cheeseburger…ahhhhhhh. Beauty.

You keen to come visit me yet?
:-) By the way, I named the lizard Mojo.

4 comments:

Crazy Watsons said...

I would have screamed a lot! You are a trooper! Good post. Gutsy lizards in Fiji huh? Love ya!

baby havin babies said...

loved the post and the pics. that lizard is something else! let's get some pics of you in the next post since i miss your face so!

Mary Fox said...

So good to read your blog! I can't wait to see you and all the mums again! Our team is at a total of 29!! You better have lots of work lined up for us in July....speaking of which, I will need an extensive list of supplies, wishes, and needs to bring with us. We continue to pray for you, we love you! Mary

Brad B said...

You should have been or should be a writer! You are funny. I love reading your posts. We need more of the Funny Fijian from America. Tell the kids Uncle Brad said hi. God bless.